Are You Sure Your Home Is Safe From Toxins?

Image credit

As homeowners, we pride ourselves on how much effort we put into keeping our homes clean and safe to live in. So much so that sometimes it’s difficult to tell when there are still issues within the house that we have no idea about. Namely, toxins.

IMAGE SOURCE

If you know nothing about toxins and how to keep your home safe from them, then read on so that you are better informed.

Get your home tested

Ideally, you will want to get your home tested before you move in. This is so you can see if there is any lead or radon present in the house. Lead is usually found in old paint, and radon is a radioactive gas that can be found over certain grounds. It’s important that you read more about measuring radon gas so that you understand the effects of it and also get better insight on how harmful it can be. There are also professionals that specialize in radon testing as well as lead, and you’ll want to get in touch with someone reliable so you can take action immediately.

Use non-toxic cleaning products

Cleaning your home with toxic products means that you’re leaving these chemicals floating around indoors, and this is a lot more harmful than you may think. Inhaling these toxins is just as harmful as smoking a pack of cigarettes, and if that isn’t bad enough for you, it’s twice as bad for your pets and children. This is why you need to ensure to either use natural recipes for cleaning, or you can buy into organic and non toxic cleaning products.

Use stainless steel cooking utensils

Research has actually shown that the chemicals used to create the layer that allows the pots and pans to be non stick can be extremely toxic. An agent called PFOA is used to make this layer, and has been found to be carcinogenic to people, and is a great cause for numerous kinds of cancer. It’s best that you stay away from these items and just stick to using stainless steel pots and pans, as well as cooking utensils, so that you can avoid the risk altogether.

IMAGE SOURCE

Try to stay away from plastic containers

With plastic containers, there is a chemical known as Bisphenol A that is used in the process of hardening the plastic, and is a toxin that has been directly related to certain cases of cancer. It’s particularly advisable to use glass containers in the microwave, and if you can stay away from plastic altogether that would be better.

It is more than likely that your home has exposure to one kind of toxin or another, because as it is, we live in pretty polluted times, and the chances are that even the air itself is not 100% clean. But what we do have control of is being able to control how much we allow into our home by doing damage control. Make sure that you understand what different products and household items contain and how they can be harmful, and don’t forget to get your home tested.

 

LisaLisa

My name is Lisa and my husband Carl, and I are the owners of the Night Helper Blog. We have been married for over 30 years and we have three awesome children, plus four adorable very active grandkids. From time to time they too are contributors to the Night Helper Blog. We enjoy reading, listening to music, entertaining, travel, movies and of course blogging. The Night Helper blog was created in 2008. Since then we have been blessed to partner with many well-known Brands like Best Buy, Fisher Price, Toys "R" US., Hasbro, Disney, Teleflora, ClearCorrect, Radio Shack, VTech, KIA Motor, MAZDA and many other great brands.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *