How Often Should Your Roof be Inspected In Salt Lake City?
Your roof is one of the essential features of your home, which is why you need to check on it regularly. After all, knowing how and when to inspect your roofing system is a helpful process to take care of your home correctly. Read on this article to learn the roofing inspection checklist to prevent significant and costly problems.
Signs That You Need A Professional Inspection
Typically, a roof inspection should be done on a regular basis. However, there will be times that you need to get your roofing system professionally inspected. Here are a few warning signs to watch out for that require a professional inspection:
- Missing shingles – Water damage occurs when missing shingles expose the underlayment of your roof. The damage, for instance, might cause a leak from the ceiling. That’s why you need to inspect your roof and keep an eye for signs of water infiltration.
- Old roof – The more you maintain your roof, the longer it will serve your home against natural elements like rain, snow, hail, and even falling trees. So, if you want your roofing system to last for several years, make sure you conduct a regular roof inspection. Over the years, consider the possibility of planning a roof replacement project.
- Shingle granules in the gutter – Your roof is reaching the end of its service life if you spot excessive granules in the drain. A damaged conduit means your shingles will start to crack or curl. If you encounter this roofing problem, it’s essential to call a professional roofer to inspect your roof and figure out the best solution to the problem.
- Sagging roof – When your roof is sagging, it indicates that there might be severe structural problems with the foundation. Thus, you need to have an immediate roof inspection to prevent further damage. You have to act on this problem before it becomes a costly roof repair.
When To Inspect Your Roofing System?
In most cases, a general roof inspection must be done twice a year unless there’s a severe storm where you have to call for a roofer immediately to inspect your roof for potential problems. To make sure you’ll not miss any of your scheduled inspection, set the alarm on your phone or mark your calendar to remind you of the schedule especially after big weather. In Salt Lake City, the earlier you spot an issue, the cheaper the roof repairs will be.
How To Do A DIY Roof Inspection?
While it’s a good idea to have more thorough inspections by the professionals, it should still be essential if you should also perform your own inspection routine. Doing so will help you keep track of your roofing system’s condition. 1. Below are ways to do a DIY roof inspection:
- Roam around your house to search for any visible signs of ageing, damage or sagging.
- Look for moss, algae or leaves in your gutter system or any areas on your roof.
- Pay attention to curled or buckled shingles. If your attic isn’t adequately ventilated, the heat might lead to curling shingles. Also, it might expose you to the risk of weather damage.
- Watch out for missing or aged shingles. Remember, when shingles are missing, your roof is more likely at risk for severe damage.
- If you’re at the rooftop, don’t forget to check your gutters. If you see much debris over there, clean them out properly.
- Keep an eye on the texture of your shingles. If they have less texture, your home is less likely protected against weather damage. Not only that but it’s also a tell-tale sign that you need to have a heavy roof repair or replacement.
- Check your counter flashing. It’s a metal, waterproof strip that’s used for keeping out moisture. Moreover, look for any cracks, damage or leaks.
- To inspect your roof from the inside, spot for any drips or leaving coming through the attic.
- Be wary about wall or ceiling discoloration, drips, and sagging.
As a homeowner, it’s vital that you spend a little time to ensure you have a sturdy roof over your head. After all, you and your family deserve peace of mind knowing that you’re protected from extreme weather conditions. Thus, make sure you have a maintenance plan in place to see to it that your roof is in good working condition. Additionally, it’s also helpful to fix problems and concerns as early as possible. That way, you’ll prevent minor issues from becoming severe, thereby saving you more money in the long run.
The Bottom Line
By keeping all the information above in mind, you can be sure that your roof’s well-being is always maintained and protected. If you notice problems or you want to schedule a roof inspection in Salt Lake City, contact a reliable roofing company like PRC. They have a professional roofer who will come over, inspect your roof, and advise you on what to do with the problems.