This sandwich might just be my favorite sandwich. Its simple, but delicious. It comes together amazingly fast, uses ingredients almost everyone has in their cupboards already, and is nearly fool-proof.
Grab some chicken and trim off the excess fat that may still be on it. I use either breasts or tenderloin. Either one is fine. Cut it into strips and season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, seasoning salt, and lots of basil.
Heat a pan with some oil, olive or vegetable, either one is fine, over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken until all of the pink is gone.
Now, this next part is completely optional, but absolutely delicious. You can use any old bread or bun you have around and you will still love this sandwich, but if you want that extra YUM, try this sometime!
Take a small ball of fresh bread dough and flatten it out until it’s a bit bigger than your hand. Using the same skillet you cooked the chicken in over medium-low heat with a couple of tablespoons of oil in it, and place the bread dough in it.
Let the dough cook until it starts puffing up and browns on the bottom, and then flip it over.
Cook the other side until the bread is cooked through and the bottom side is browned. Tap the dough. It should sound hollow. If it doesn’t, place it in your oven preheated to 350 degrees for about 10 minutes and that should finish off the cooking. Cut it in half and brown the insides in the pan if you’d like some extra crunch.
Spread some mayo on the bread, put a piece of creamy havarti on it, and then put the warm basil chicken on the cheese.
Cut in half and enjoy!
Basil Chicken Sandwich
● 1 chicken breast, trimmed and cut into strips
● to taste salt & pepper
● sprinkle garlic salt
● sprinkle onion powder
● sprinkle seasoning salt
● 1-2 tsp basil
● 2 small balls fresh bread dough
● 1-2 TBSP mayo
● 2 slices havarti
1. Trim, clean, and cut a chicken breast or chicken tenderloins into strips.
2. Season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, seasoning salt, and basil.
3. Cook over medium-high heat until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Take a small ball of fresh bread dough and flatten. Cook over medium-low heat on both sides until bread is completely done.
5. Cut in half and spread with mayo and a piece of cheese. Place cooked chicken on bread and slice in half.