Can you imagine a life without vision? It’s unimaginable, especially if you lose your site due to an illness or through an accident. This drastic change in your life can be difficult since you can’t do normal tasks like walking alone or even doing the laundry.
Diseases make up a huge percentage of all vision-loss worldwide. However, treatment is available to cure these diseases such as LASIK surgery Dallas. While treatment exists, you don’t have to wait until the last minute to take care of your eyes.
Prevention is better than treatment, thus regular eye checks will go a long way in extending your eye health. Also, if you start experiencing eye problems, it’s advisable to seek medical attention. To prevent basic eye problems, take a look at some of the eye care tips you can implement.
Basic Eye Care Tips
Incorporating these tips in your day-to-day life will boost your eye health:
- Eat a balanced diet. A balanced diet starts with healthy food. Food sourced from known farms or grocery stores. In the diet, make sure to include vegetables and fruits. In particular, include deep green and yellow vegetables. in addition, you boost your vision using omega-3 fatty acids. You can find this in halibut, tuna, and salmon.
- Check your weight. Obesity and overweight persons run the risk of getting diabetes. A person with diabetes is at high risk of developing glaucoma or diabetic retinopathy. Both conditions affect your eyes. Thus, it’s important to check your weight once in a while and ensure your body mass index falls in safe regions.
- Exercise often. Getting regular exercises will keep high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes at bay. People with these diseases are at risk of developing eye problems which may affect your vision. Exercising often improves and maintains good vision.
- Use sunglasses. Macular degeneration and cataracts develop due to sun exposure. The sun emits two types of ultraviolet radiation, UV-A and UV-B. Both types of radiation can hurt your eyes after prolonged exposure. Therefore, wear sunglasses any time you step out to block up to 100 percent of the radiation.
- Protect your eyes at work. Certain jobs pose dangers to the eyes. Without protective eyewear, you risk losing your vision or cause damage to your eyes. The same goes for certain sports which require eye protection. Make sure you wear protective gear at all times to prevent eye damage.
- Rest your eyes. This goes to people who spend most of their time looking at computer screens. Extended periods of focusing strains and fatigues the eyes. This is why you need to take regular rests. Medical experts recommend using the 20-20-20 rule. After 20 minutes of on-screen focusing, take 20 seconds to look 20 feet away, then resume with your work for another 20 minutes. This will reduce eyestrain.
- Interrogate your family’s health history. You can also inherit eye problems if your family has a history of eye diseases. The best way to find out is to interrogate family members and find out whether anyone had eye problems in the past. Also, find out whether this is a recurring problem in the family. This will let you know whether you are at risk of developing the same problem.
- Maintain hygiene when handling contact lenses. If you use contact lenses, make sure you disinfect your hands each time you handle them. Also, be sure to clean the contact lenses as per the instructions before using them.
- Smoking is bad for your eyes. Not only can smoking damage your lungs and the respiratory system, but also your eyes. According to research, smoking can cause macular degeneration, optic nerve damage, and cataracts. These conditions can cause blindness.
Your eyes form an integral part of your life. Losing your vision can cause losses both monetary and emotional, especially if you’ve had your vision before. As such, it’s important to practice recommended eye care tips such as those listed in this article.