What can be perfect with a bowl of pasta or soup? You absolutely love soft Italian breadsticks. Instead of store-purchased, do you want to enjoy home-made Italian breadsticks? These soft breadsticks are easy to make. Don’t be disappointed if you cannot make perfect breadsticks in the very first attempt. Practice and you can make breadsticks that are out of this world. After that, you can tweak the recipe according to your taste.
To make these fluffy and quick soft breadsticks, add a little sugar to a large mixing bowl. Add some warm water in the bowl. Sprinkle the yeast and wait for 5 minutes. The mixture should look foamy. In case it does not, your yeast is dead. Check the expiration date of the yeast package and start over. Add bread flour after the yeast has proofed. Breadsticks become fluffy and rise really high if you use bread flour. In case you don’t have bread flour, you can use all-purpose flour as well. Form a dough after working in the olive oil, bread flour and salt. Add ¼ cup more flour if the dough is a bit sticky. Place the dough in an oiled bowl. Keep it covered with a plastic wrap for 30 minutes and wait until it rises. Now punch the dough down and divide it into 16 portions.
Shape each portion into a long rope. Line a baking sheet with parchment and place your ropes on it. Mist a plastic wrap sheet with non-stick spray. Now, lay it over the unbaked Italian breadsticks. Leave them as is for 30 minutes.
Preheat your oven after 30 minutes and use egg wash to brush your breadsticks. This is why breadsticks get their golden brown color. Put your breadsticks in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes and then remove. You will get soft breadsticks with barely golden edges. Use a mixture of melted butter, garlic powder, salt, and Italian seasoning for a flavor.
Making Homemade Italian Breadsticks ahead
You already know how to make the dough and let it rise before making long ropes. Cover with a plastic wrap sheet after placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Now refrigerate them for 2 days. Remove them from the fridge one and a half hours before you want to make Italian breadsticks.
Wait until they come to room temperature. Leave them covered for 30 minutes. After they rise, brush your breadsticks with egg wash. Bake and then bathe in garlic butter. Now you can serve soft, fluffy Italian breadsticks.
Soft Italian breadsticks recipe
Total time: 53 minutes
Resting time: 1 hour
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 13 minutes
- Sugar: 2 teaspoons
- Warm water: 1 1/2 cups
- Active dry yeast: ¼ ounce
- Bread flour: 3 cups
- Extra virgin olive oil: 3 tablespoons
- Kosher salt: 1 teaspoon
- 1 egg beaten with 2 teaspoons water for egg wash
- Unsalted butter melted: ¼ cubs
- Kosher salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Garlic powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Italian seasoning: ¼ teaspoon
- Add sugar and then warm water and yeast. Wait until the yeast looks foamy.
- Add bread flour, olive oil, salt and mix to form a stiff dough.
- Knead to smoothen the dough. It should become elastic.
- Place the dough inside a bowl misted with non-stick spray.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and let the dough rise.
- Divide the dough into the same-sized 16 portions. Shape each portion into a 6 inches long rope.
- Mist a plastic wrap sheet with non-stick spray and place it over your unbaked Italian breadsticks. Wait until breadsticks rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush your Italian breadsticks with egg while your oven is preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake your breadsticks until turn golden brown at the edges. This will take 12 to 40 minutes.
- Stir the melted butter, garlic powder, salt and Italian seasoning together. In the end, brush your warm breadsticks with this mixture.