There’s a lot to think about when you’re pregnant — what kind of mother you want to be, whether you’ll breastfeed or not, and how to keep your baby safe and healthy. But one of the most important things to consider is what kind of products you need for your new arrival.
While every baby is different, there are some essential items that all first-time moms should have. Hence, here’s a list of baby essentials for first-time mothers:
A stroller helps you move around safely in the park and explore neighborhoods with your baby. However, you’ll need to be careful in choosing what stroller to purchase.
You need to purchase a stroller suitable for newborn babies. Things to consider is whether the stroller reclines. Newborns can’t hold their heads up yet, so you will need fully reclined strollers for the newborn to comfortably lay down. You can check https://www.motherschoice.com.au/strollers to find a stroller that fits your child’s needs. There are also lightweight strollers that can fold compactly for easier storage and a double stroller if you have babies close in age.
Bassinet and Cradle
Taking care of your baby and their needs is essential. The first thing you’ll need to prepare is a safe space where they can sleep. However, babies are small people, and you can’t just sleep beside them yet.
You’ll need to understand that they need extra care for their sleeping needs. Still, the American Academy of Pediatrics encourages new parents to sleep with their babies in the same room if sleeping beside them doesn’t work. Then, you can instead buy a crib, bassinet, or cradle.
The bassinet and cradle are helpful spaces where you can lay your child to sleep. It is specially made for babies from 0 to 4 months old. As they grow older, they will need a bigger, more comfortable space to stand and move around safely and freely.
Whether you’re still breastfeeding your baby or not, you’ll eventually need to switch them to formula-feeding. There are also cases where mothers pump their breasts to maintain or increase the milk supply. You will need to prepare various feeding supplies to get started.
- Bottles and Feeding Nipples. The amount of bottles you’ll need depends on whether you’ll breastfeed or formula-feed your baby. Still, it would be best to have at least 8-10 bottles on hand and feeding nipples to imitate the mother’s nipple.
- Cleaning Bottle Brush. This tool helps clean the bottle and remove crevices you can’t reach by yourself. Ensure to purchase a brush that is specifically used for cleaning bottles.
- Sterilizing Equipment. This is optional if your dishwasher doesn’t have a setting for sterilizing. Alternatively, you can use the microwave or fill a large saucepan to boil the bottle in the water. You can also buy a UV sterilizer or electric steam sterilizer for baby bottles.
- Pacifiers. This tool helps calm the baby when they need the comfort of sucking something since, they may not be hungry for a baby bottle. Also, you should know that pacifiers don’t harm babies that are still breastfeeding. Studies presented that restricting this tool can negatively affect breastfeeding instead.
- Bibs. Bibs are something babies wear to protect their skin from drool, foods, breastmilk or formula, and spit-up.
When buying clothes for your newborn babies, remember that you would not need much of them because babies grow at lightning speed and will only outgrow them in no time. As much as you want to show off your baby in their pretty and adorable clothing, it’s not very practical to buy them tons of clothes in their first weeks.
Baby suits, or onesies, are a must-have item in your baby’s wardrobe. It helps keep the baby warm and doesn’t ride up, unlike shirts that can easily expose their chest and tummy. It’s also a good idea to have a mix of both summer and winter clothes, as well as some outfits for special occasions. You’ll also need plenty of sleepsacks and sleepsuits for nighttime.
Before stocking diapers, you’ll need to decide which one you will use for your baby. First-time moms can choose between disposable or cloth diapers.
Cloth diapers are waterproof plastic diapers with absorbent materials in their inner parts. With this type of diaper, you can save significant money and reduce diaper rash. On the other hand, disposable diapers do a great job of removing moisture from the baby’s skin. If you find the right brand for you, you will not have to worry about diaper rashes. Moreover, they are very convenient and suitable for any type of travel.
Keep in mind that babies grow too quickly, so it can be hard to determine what diaper size they need. For stockpiling purposes, you first need to determine several factors, such as their weight and the number of diapers they use daily. You can always start with small stocks until you find what perfectly works for your baby.
This list of baby essentials for first-time mothers should help you to make sure you have everything you need for your new arrival. Remember, every baby is different, so you might need to add a few extra items to this list depending on your circumstances. And don’t forget to ask your friends and family for advice – they might have some essential items you’ve forgotten about!