There was a woman (I won’t name her because she’s fitter than me) who boasted she was a princess because she couldn’t sleep on a mattress that had even one miniscule lump in it. Then, one night after a raucous party, she slept soundly on a hammer and a pound of nails.
That was then.
As we age, we need our comforts and a good mattress is vital for all-round health and well-being. It’s decisive in making a bedroom sleep-friendly. In fact, in a recent survey, The National Sleep Foundation discovered that a whopping 92% of us stated that having a comfortable mattress was important for getting a good night’s sleep.
And, as hands-on parents, we need our sleep. For some of us, it’s the only private time we get since even using the bathroom attracts an audience!
“MOM! Wotcha doin’?”
So, here’s how to choose a mattress that’s going to promote blissful repose and create the right environment for romance (remember that?) – the same survey found that 78% of Americans need a good mattress to get in the mood.
When shopping for the best mattress, consider these factors:
- Support: Spinal alignment is critical for healing sleep and you need a mattress that supports the pressure points, whether you’re a back, side or front sleeper.
- Comfort: It’s hard to get a mattress that’s both plush and supportive, but it’s possible with the new, layered technology in a memory foam mattress. Look for a mattress that has adequate core support combined with snugness.
- Coolness: Women give off a lot of heat, particularly as time passes – at a certain age we become a microcosm of global warming – you deserve a mattress that doesn’t retain that heat. With layers of specifically designed materials, it’s now possible to have a cool night’s sleep.
- Sleep test: Only invest in a mattress if you can take it home and try it out. Bouncing on beds in the showroom won’t tell you if you’re going to be able to rest comfortably in your own bedroom. Certain manufacturers will even let you home trial the mattress for up to 101 nights – plenty of time for the family to do its worst!
- Space: Cuddling is lovely, but sometimes you just need to stretch out. Make sure your mattress is big enough for at least two adults to have some wiggle room.
- Online shopping: Some of the best guarantees and sleep tests can be found online, with doorstep delivery and free returns. You also need to look for mattresses that are easy to maneuver and install.
Experts say that a good mattress should last you for up to 10 years – this purchase is a long-term investment – so take your time making this important decision. After all, the value of a good night’s sleep is priceless, especially with all that you’ve got going on. Consider waking up refreshed to face another day and its onslaught of demands. You’re worth it, so make sure your mattress suits you and your lifestyle.