Pin Brush For Dog Grooming
You may find a lot of different kinds of grooming supplies in the market. But which one is right for your dog can be an overwhelming question. If we just look at the dog brushes, do you know how many different types are out there? Here we will just focus on the Pin brushes, read on.
What Is A Pin Brush?
A pin brush is a brush that has wire pins, which are widely spaced and have ends that are like a ball, which are either metal or rubber.
Should You Use A Pin Brush On Your Dog?
If you have a dog whose fur is medium to long, then a pin brush is the ideal brush for your dog. Here is a list of dog breeds for whom pin brushes are the best option:
- Golden Retrievers
- Lhasa Apsos
In case you aren’t sure about the breed of your dog, or you have specific concerns, then the best thing to do is consult your veterinarian or an employee at the pet supply store for guidance.
Brushing Your Dog
Generally, no matter what breed your dog is, brushing regularly is a part of the grooming routine. The Animal Humane Society recommends every few days. But if you have a dog that sheds a lot, then you might need to do it more often.
When To And When Not To Use A Pin Brush
Every type of brush has a different use; pin brush is for regular maintenance. For tangles and
mats, you may have to use a different brush, such as a Slicker brush.
You should not use a pin brush on dogs with short coats, it will not hurt them, but there are other types of brushes that will suit them better. Here is a list of some of the breeds for whom you should not use a pin brush:
- Some Retrievers
Pin Brush Techniques
The techniques depend on the type of hair that your dog has. Here is a guideline, according to Pet Education:
- If your dog has a long and flowing coat, brush it along the hair grain.
- For dogs with a thin coat, go along and against the hair grain.
- Dogs with a rough outer coat and a soft undercoat brush them against the grain when you are brushing the outer coat and again against the grain for the inner coat.
Where Can You Buy A Pin Brush?
Pin brushes are easily available at local pet shops, but just in case you do not have one near you, you can always shop online.
Dog Grooming Tips
If you are new to dog grooming, these tips may come in handy:
- When you pick out a brush for your dog, keep their personality in mind.
- When brushing your dog, if you see that he is shaking, or trying to run away or trying to bite you, it is best to take a break. You must pay attention to the body language of your dog.
- If your dog barks, cries, or growls, it tries to communicate something to you, so you should listen and try to find out the reason.
- Recommendations are only guidelines; it really depends on your dog. If he does not want to be groomed, it’s fine. Take a break and try again after a few days.
- Encourage positive behavior; you can use treats for this.
Pin brushes are suitable to use daily for dogs with long hair. It will prevent tangles and mats. But if your dog has them already, then use a slicker brush instead. You can buy a pin brush at any pet supply store and online shops.