5 reasons to buy a memory foam mattress
One of the many benefits of the American space program in the 1960s was the development of visco-elastic memory foam. NASA designed and created the material to make it possible for astronauts to survive and function in the massive gravitational pull during take offs and re-entries into the atmosphere.
Once visco-elastic memory foam entered the public realm, it took about 30 years for viable memory foam mattresses to be created. Over the next quarter of a century, mattress manufacturers have refined and improved memory foam mattresses and their popularity has surged. By 2012, memory foam mattress sales accounted for 20 percent of all mattress sales.
Benefits for all family members
A memory foam mattress has several benefits over the standard coil spring mattress that debuted in the early 20th century. Many of these properties make a memory foam crib mattress better, safer and more hygienic for toddlers than a standard mattress.
- Spinal support and pressure point relief. Memory foam conforms to your body’s contours supporting your spine while relieving pressure on soft tissues that can lead to pain in the affected area or bed sores in worse cases. Although coil spring mattresses are better than hard surfaces at supporting the contours of your body, they still rely on hard material to give that support.
- Pain relief. Users who suffer from chronic back, joint and bone pain can find relief by using memory foam mattresses. The mattress conforms to the body as opposed to forcing the body to conform to the mattress, allowing pressure to be spread across the entire body, not centered on pressure points.
- Accommodating and motionless. One of the major advantages to memory foam mattresses is that they mold to your body, supporting it in any position you sleep in. This gives you a better night’s sleep with less tossing and turning. The motion absorbing qualities of memory foam make it more comfortable for light sleepers (like babies and toddlers) and for people who share a bed.
- Hypo-allergenic. Even if you do not suffer from dust mite allergies, memory foam mattresses can make it more difficult for other allergens to be absorbed by your mattress. Molds and pet dander are constant sources of irritation for people who use traditional mattresses and memory foam repels them.
- Easy care and durability. Memory foam mattresses do not have to be flipped like standard mattresses. They are easy to maintain and cleaning consists of vacuuming the mattress once every couple of months. Memory foam mattresses do not sag with use and will last around seven years. The better quality the foam used in the mattress, the longer it will last, of course.
Safeguard your kids
Toddlers and children benefit from memory foam for the above reasons. Additionally, it makes falling asleep easier and the quality of sleep is higher. It won’t stop your children from waking up in the middle of the night, but it will make it easier for them to fall back asleep.
Keep in mind that the memory foam used in crib mattresses is different than the memory foam used in adult beds. It retains all the benefits of a memory foam but is firmer. This allows a child or a toddler to sleep without any risks associated with sleeping on one’s stomach. They are perfectly safe for children and offer a better night’s rest than traditional mattresses.
Memory foam mattresses are a good buy for all family members and will offer a better night’s rest without the associated pains and discomfort of traditional mattresses.