Types of Car Insurance Claims You Can File When Unexpected Situations Happen

When you purchase a car insurance policy, you have several choices. These selections will determine what incidents your policy covers. A formal request for funds from your insurer following an event or damage is known as an insurance claim. There are many situations in which you might file a car insurance claim.



If you get into an accident with another car or overturn your vehicle, collision coverage helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle. This coverage type is optional, but some lenders require adding it when financing or leasing a car. Collision insurance covers repairing your vehicle after a crash, regardless of who is at fault. It is also a necessary add-on for those who want to avoid paying out of pocket for expensive repairs after an accident. However, if someone crashes into you and doesn’t have adequate insurance, bodily injury liability coverage may help cover medical expenses or lost wages up to your policy limit. It’s best to weigh the pros and cons of having collision insurance before deciding whether this additional auto coverage is right for you. Collision and comprehensive coverage are generally recommended for those who want peace of mind, while others choose to remove it as their vehicle ages.

Medical Payments

Medical payments (often called MedPay) are optional car insurance coverage that pays for your and your passenger’s medical bills after an accident. It can cover many expenses, including health insurance deductibles and co-pays, emergency room and hospital costs, x-rays and surgery, ambulance and emergency medical technician fees, rehabilitation and nursing care, and medical devices like prostheses. MedPay differs from bodily injury liability coverage in that it covers your injuries in a crash caused by another driver, regardless of fault. In contrast, PIP, mandatory in some states, typically covers your lost wages if you cannot work due to an accident. However, both types of coverage help bridge the gaps your other car insurance policies left.

Considering health care costs and the potential of being involved in an accident, it’s worth considering adding this coverage to your policy. Learn more about how it works and whether it’s right for you at


It is an additional form of auto insurance that assists in covering the cost of replacing or repairing your automobile when things go wrong without causing an accident, such as bad weather, vandalism, or even theft. It covers your car’s actual cash value minus your selected deductible. You can choose a higher Comprehensive deductible to reduce your premium, but be sure you have enough money in savings to cover the cost of your deductible if you need to file a claim. Comprehensive insurance is generally worth it (and required if you have a loan or lease) since accidents aren’t the only way your car gets damaged. For example, a storm might drop a branch through your sunroof, or a protester might break your windshield. In these cases, your comprehensive policy might help you out. But there comes a point when your premiums and deductibles add up to more than your car’s value, so that may be the time to consider dropping comprehensive insurance.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist

Uninsured motorist coverage (UM) and underinsured motorist insurance (UIM) compensate you when an at-fault driver doesn’t carry liability insurance or their policy limits aren’t high enough to cover your damages. These types of coverage can also pay for accidents caused by hit-and-run drivers. UM/UIM typically covers medical expenses and car repair costs up to predetermined limits, but it may be subject to the same deductible as your collision coverage. It can vary by state. Say you’re walking across the street at a crosswalk when a negligent driver rear-ends your vehicle. If the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance, you can make a UM claim to pay for your medical expenses and UMPD coverage to cover the damage to your vehicle. UM/UIM is optional, but nearly 20 states require all drivers to carry it. You can get it in addition to liability and comprehensive insurance or buy it separately. This type of insurance generally costs less than liability coverage.


Welcome to the Night Helper Blog. The Night Helper Blog was created in 2008. Since then we have been blessed to partner with many well-known Brands like Best Buy, Fisher Price, Toys "R" US., Hasbro, Disney, Teleflora, ClearCorrect, Radio Shack, VTech, KIA Motor, MAZDA and many other great brands. We have three awesome children, plus four adorable very active grandkids. From time to time they too are contributors to the Night Helper Blog. We enjoy reading, listening to music, entertaining, travel, movies, and of course blogging.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *