Dealing with sensitive teeth can be highly stressful. Those with sensitive teeth may find it uncomfortable to brush, drink hot beverages, or eat certain foods. Sharp or dull and uncomfortable pains may occur with sensitive teeth. It is important for individuals to know how their dentist can help them overcome sensitive teeth so they can feel relief.
What Causes Sensitive Teeth?
In most cases, sensitive teeth are caused by a thinning of the tooth enamel. The enamel of a tooth is meant to offer protection and seal the nerve. Sensitive teeth can also be caused by an exposed tooth root. Those who are dealing with sensitive teeth need to see their Family Dentist.
It is important for individuals to know sensitive teeth can also be caused by problems with a person’s oral health. Cavities, gum disease, damaged teeth, and worn fillings can all cause increased sensitivity.
5 Treatment Options for Sensitive Teeth
Seeing the dentist is one of the most important things a person can do for the health of their teeth. The dentist will offer a full examination and X-rays to determine if there is any tooth damage that needs to be addressed. Dentists often recommend the following treatments to patients who are dealing with overly sensitive teeth.
- Desensitizing toothpaste can be highly beneficial for mild to moderate tooth sensitivity. It will take several applications for a person to find relief. There are many toothpaste products on the market. It is important to ask a dentist for recommendations.
- Fluoride can be useful for helping individuals to overcome the pain of tooth sensitivity. Fluoride helps to strengthen the enamel so there is less nerve irritation.
- Bonding treatments can be offered by the dentist, and they can help reduce sensitivity dramatically. Applying bonding resin to exposed tooth roots will help to stop the unwanted painful symptoms.
- Sometimes, sensitive teeth are caused by eroding gum tissue. If a person’s gum tissue is not offering enough protection, they can receive a graft of tissue. Gum grafts cover the exposed roots and protect a person’s teeth.
- When cavities and tooth damage occur, a root canal sometimes becomes necessary. Root canals remove the nerve so it is no longer sending a signal and causing a person pain. Root canals prevent teeth from becoming further damaged.
Scheduling a Consultation Is Important
Sensitive teeth can make eating and drinking certain foods painful. Even the discomfort of brushing their teeth becomes too much for a person to handle. Those who are dealing with this issue should first try desensitizing toothpaste. These toothpaste products fill in the minute openings that are created when the enamel becomes worn over time.
Seeing the dentist a couple of times a year will help keep a person’s smile healthy and strong. Healthy teeth are less likely to cause discomfort because the enamel remains intact.
Learn More Today
Individuals do not have to worry about being stuck with tooth sensitivity. When irritation is occurring, a person needs to see their dentist right away. Dentists have many options that can help a person overcome the pain they feel in their teeth.
If tooth health issues are to blame, getting a filling or resin treatment offers welcome relief. Worn enamel can be fortified with Fluoride treatments to help a person find comfort.
Call today to schedule an appointment with the dentist. Sensitive teeth treatments provide comfort and stop irritation and pain.