How to Get a Driver License Translation for New Zealand

Image Credit

When getting to New Zealand, you need to get your driver’s license translated. So in this guide, we’ll show you exactly how to do so!

In order to drive in New Zealand, you’re going to need three things: Your domestic driver’s license, your International Drivers Permit, or the New Zealand Drivers License. If you don’t have a driver’s license in English, then you’re going to have to get it translated in order to drive in New Zealand legally.

When you arrive in New Zealand, the translated license or IDP is valid for a year. Once the time expires, then you’ll have to get a New Zealand Drivers License.

Why Do You Need a Driver License Translation?

Even if you plan on solely driving in your domestic country, it’s important to get your driver license translated. There will be times when law enforcement officials will have language barriers, and you’ll want your license to be easy for them to read.

For those that are traveling overseas here are five reasons why you should get an international driver’s permit:

  • It can be used for most countries.
  • It’s valid for up to 3 years.
  • You don’t have to take a driving test.
  • You can receive your IDP before going home, so you don’t have to waste time in New Zealand looking for a translation.
  • You won’t be able to rent or drive a vehicle with just your domestic country’s license.

Getting Your International Driving License

Getting your IDP will vary in certain countries. In most situations, you can apply for the IDP via the country’s official website or driving license authority. And you can apply at your local prefecture or government. To obtain your IDP, you’ll need:

  • Your recent ID photograph
  • A copy of your driver’s license
  • A completed application form

Some countries require that you have a copy of your domestic identity cards. While there are some applications that are free, other apps require a small fee. These applications will take about a month to process, so don’t fill them out at the last minute!

How Can I Translate My Drivers License to New Zealand?

If you were unable to get an IDP before traveling to New Zealand, don’t worry! There are still ways to get the license translated to the country without too much of a hassle. Here are three options that you can take when trying to get it translated:

  1. An authority that gave your domestic drivers license.
  2. A representative or a consulate (they are found in Wellington, and you will have to go there in person).
  3. A New Zealand Transport Agency licensed translator.

The best way to get your driver’s license translated is by using one of these translated services provided by New Zealand Transport Agency.


Overall, your driver license translation will require you to take action immediately. You don’t want to waste time and enter in New Zealand without a fully translated license and IDP. Once you finally get your license created, you’ll be able to drive around freely and be able to communicate with the local authorities effectively.


Do you have any additional questions about getting your license translated?


Tell us more in the comments below!



Welcome to the Night Helper Blog. The Night Helper Blog was created in 2008. Since then we have been blessed to partner with many well-known Brands like Best Buy, Fisher Price, Toys "R" US., Hasbro, Disney, Teleflora, ClearCorrect, Radio Shack, VTech, KIA Motor, MAZDA and many other great brands. We have three awesome children, plus four adorable very active grandkids. From time to time they too are contributors to the Night Helper Blog. We enjoy reading, listening to music, entertaining, travel, movies, and of course blogging.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *