All parts of our home deserve attention when it comes to sanitation and safety. However, not every part requires the same level of difficulty to access and clean. Take for instance the basement and crawl spaces. They are parts of the home that need extra effort and attention to maintain their cleanliness and keep them safe. When it comes to crawl space cleaning, there are tips that everyone can learn and apply.
Crawl Space Cleaning: DIY Tips you should Know
Dirty crawl spaces can serve as a home to moisture. Although sometimes the surface may appear dry but taking a deeper look will show that there is moist earth under.
- Purchase and use vapor barrier to serve as a physical shield vs moisture.
- Check for signs of mice termites, and other animals that can be underneath your home. They should be removed since they can pose
- Check for leaks in your sewer lines and all pipes leading to the kitchen, toilet, and more.
- Examine your crawl space for exposed piping. You can pipe wraps to do this.
- Do not store cardboard in a crawl space. This is similar to checking mold and mildew buildup to take up the areas underneath your home.
- Remove all other construction items and debris during the house cleaning activity. They can hinder the cleaning project if not removed.
- In some cases, you will discover a nest of animals such bird and reptiles in your crawls space. Call a local animal rescue agency and let them know that there are friends who need to be rescued.
- In case storing some things under your house is not avoidable, then make sure that they will be visited periodically. As time goes by, these items can be a home for harmful elements such as mold and mildew. When left untreated they can cause damages to the health of your family.
- When cleaning the crawl space in your home, make sure to have the proper ventilation. You can rent a respirator when doing such kind of house cleaning job. You must also wear a dust mask to prevent harmful dust and airborne germs to get into your body.
- Take some other safety precautions such as wearing pants with kneepads and durable working gloves. This will protect you from debris and sharp objects while cleaning the space.
- Cleaning a space with mildew or mold requires extra effort. Before cleaning the area, check first if there is a presence of mildew, mold, and efflorescence. Do not attempt to clean the mold by yourself if you do not have adequate information on how to do it. There are also some kind of mold, specifically the black mold, which is dangerous when
The removal of mold and mildew from your crawl space requires professional help. Contact someone with experience in this kind of mold and mildew removal.
Efflorescence is caused when moisture leaches minerals out of the concrete underneath your home. You can hire professionals to do this, too, but will save a lot of money if you do it yourself. You will need a sturdy wire brush, a paint brush and some anti-fungicide. Use the brush to remove evidence of the efflorescence from your crawl space. Then paint the anti-fungicide onto the area with a paintbrush.
Crawl space cleaning may sound like a tedious job but it must be done to ensure that your home will be safe and clean. Hire professionals to do the jobs which require expertise but for those that you can do yourself, then try the DIY tips mentioned. You’ll save more while having a clean home for you and your family.