7 Reasons Not to Buy Beauty Products with Harmful Additives
It’s common knowledge that what you put in your body affects your health, but did you know what you put on your body can have just as powerful of an effect? The beauty products that you use every day have ingredients in them that can be toxic to your health, and you may not even know they are affecting you because a lot of the problems happen under the surface.
Because of this danger, it’s important that you consider the cosmetics and personal care items that you use as much as you think about your nutritional needs in your diet. Make-up and other body care items with harmful additives in them can create chemical reactions in your body that you don’t even realize are going on.
Here are 7 scary reasons why you shouldn’t ever buy beauty products with harmful additives in them.
7 Scary Effects Beauty Products With Harmful Additives Have on Your Health
The beauty industry is very loosely regulated. Sure, a lot of guidelines exist on prohibiting testing on animals and other major no-nos, but what about those gray areas where companies use potentially dangerous synthetic chemicals to make their products more “appealing”? They market their product as “cruelty-free” or “not tested on animals,” but what about the additives they include that can make you sick, or even kill you?
These chemicals can be anything from minor skin irritants to a major carcinogenic, but they’re not regulated before the product goes on the market. You may think that just because the big-name department and drug stores carry it that it’s safe, but what you are buying may not be good for you.
If you are experiencing any of these conditions, they might be caused by your cosmetics or beauty products:
- Erratic hormone changes. Many cosmetics use parabens in them to prevent the growth of bacteria and other unwanted decomposers. But parabens have properties in them that copy some estrogen hormones that are thought to increase the risk of breast cancer. If you have an unnecessarily elevated level of estrogen or are having hormonal symptoms, check your makeup, shampoo, and even your facial wash for evidence of paraben in the ingredients.
- Symptoms of ADHD. Products with beautiful but unnatural colors in them probably have synthetic dyes to make them that shade. Synthetic colors are demonstrated with the letters FD&C or D&C in front of the color and the number.
These are considered a potential human carcinogen and have been linked to children with ADHD, and they’re banned in other countries.
- Problems with your endocrine system. Your endocrine system is responsible for producing hormones in your body. These hormones regulate your metabolism, help you develop properly regardless of age, determine your sleep cycle, and even affect your sexual performance.
But chemicals in many products disrupt the normal functioning of your endocrine system. These chemicals are commonly called benzophenone, PABAs, avobenzone, and other fancy words and are usually found in sunscreen products. If you have trouble pronouncing it or spelling it and it’s not a household word, avoid it.
- Hives. We often associate hives with allergies and we look to an external allergen for the cause. But the reason you have them maybe even closer to home than you realize.
Many moisturizers, shampoos, makeup products, and hair sprays contain propylene glycol, organic alcohol that is used to condition the skin but is classified as a skin irritant. It can cause dermatitis and hives in concentrations as low as 2%.
- Breathing problems or nausea. A common toxic chemical found all over our make-up products in nail polish, hair products, and other beauty care items is toluene. Made from petroleum or sources of coal, it is strong enough to dissolve paint but it’s used on our skin.
Sure it takes off nail polish in one swoop, but it also affects your respiratory system, can make you sick, and can severely irritate your skin. Exposure to this toxic chemical when you’re pregnant can even cause damage to a developing fetus.
- Thyroid issues. If you use a product that has triclosan in it, you may notice an increase in your hormone issues, like thyroid problems. Triclosan is an antimicrobial chemical that is also an endocrine disruptor.
Even though studies have shown that it really does not have any added benefits that your regular soap can’t provide, companies continue to use it in toothpaste, soap, and deodorant.
- Kidney problems. Almost all personal hygiene products contain a chemical called sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) or its counterpart, sodium laureth sulfate (SLES). Anything that foams may have this in it, but it’s well known as an irritant to your eyes, skin, and your lungs.
It also can interact with other chemicals in a way that forms a dangerous carcinogen called nitrosamines, which can lead to kidney and/or respiratory damage.
Alternatives to These Harmful Additives
Instead of using products with synthetic chemicals in them, look for safe, natural alternatives. They are all over the market today as people realize more and more exactly how harmful their current beauty regimen is to their health! One recommended beauty range would be Luminositie skincare. Their products are made of natural and organic ingredients that will improve your skin inside out.
Try products with healthy ingredients like tea tree oil, coconut oil, vitamin E and C, and other natural additions that have properties that give you the physical benefits without the dangerous side effects. No matter what you are looking for, you can find a safe alternative to the products that have harmful additives in them, and with so many readily available, they are often reasonably priced, too.
You Are What You Put In Your Body, and On It, Too!
It can be overwhelming having to worry about watching what you eat, what you wear, and what you put on your body, but once you know what to look out for and find a few go-to products to be your alternatives, you will quickly notice a difference in how you feel and the appearance of your skin, hair, and nails. If you are going to be what you put in and on your body, make it healthy and radiant!