An Introduction – What is a Shed??
So, you need a shed. That’s understandable! Sheds are not always easy to explain or identify. Consider this an introduction before our next big guide: What is a shed?
The word shed comes from an old form of the English word “shedde”, which in turn means small house or cottage. It is often made of wood, metal or plastic, and smaller than buildings such as houses or barns.
Sheds may be free-standing structures in the yard, sheds may be attached to other buildings such as houses and barns, and sheds may also be separate outbuildings like an office shed in the back yard of a house.
Now that you understand, let’s move on to what you’re really interested in:
How To Choose The Best Shed For Your Backyard
What type of storage shed is perfect for your garden? To help you make an informed decision, here are some factors you need to consider:
Many people choose to buy a shed for their house if they need more storage space. There are different sizes of sheds available – some can store larger things like tools, equipment and gardening things; others are used as an outbuilding.
You should also think about where the shed will be located in relation to your home. If you have a lot of space in your backyard it might make sense to invest in a large shed so that you can store all your gardening tools and supplies easily. With units quickly filling up, you may want to consider allocating a little more space for storage in your backyard. A new storage unit will provide a level of convenience and utility by fitting in nicely even into small corners of the yard.
5 Types of Sheds
The type of shed that you make will depend on the size & purpose. Here are the 5 types of sheds that you can build.
1) Gable roof sheds: These are the most common type of quality sheds. They have a gable roof, which is an A-frame shape of inclined planes meeting at their highest point. They come in a variety of sizes.
2) Garden sheds: These are smaller and usually used for gardening equipment or tools. They’re made of steel so they’re great for storage, but not suitable for anything bigger.
3) Tool sheds: Like your average garden shed, these smaller buildings store tools for a variety of purposes. They may not be big enough to store everything you might need, but they are great for storing gardening equipment or painting supplies.
4) A-frame sheds: These buildings are traditionally made of wood, with an A-frame roof and angled frame. They can also be called a gazebo or garden house.
5) Lean-to sheds: This is a shed that has one side wall, supported by posts at one end and attached to another building. It is not very common and features an exposure to the elements
How much does it typically cost to build a shed?
The cost of building a shed can vary in cost depending on the size and features that you choose.
The best way to calculate the cost of your new shed is to get in touch with a local shed builder. If you can’t, the range is $900-$9000 depending on what size, material and extras you are looking for.
While it may seem a bit overwhelming at first, when it gets down to it choosing a shed is not that difficult. You don’t need to be an expert in the field and now that you know the different types of shed you can choose from, it should not be hard for you to find one that will suit your needs.