The hair is one very essential aspect that goes on to affect your general appearance. Men and women are very particular about their hair, but it goes without saying that there is to it for women.
In a bid to style their hair and look drop-dead gorgeous, women have explored the use of different types of artificial hair.
Irrespective of whether or not you’ve got great natural hair, there are just certain styles that you cannot rock without the help of artificial hair. And one of the most difficult decisions to make in choosing one among a wig, weave, or hair extension.
Celebrities who make use of these items have makeup artists and stylists to decide which are best for them. However, everyday women may find it pretty difficult to decide the type of hair additions that would suit their lifestyle and hair type.
Now, with the range of options found on the market it’s even more confusing to make a choice. Should you choose a wig, pick a weave, or get some hair extensions? It really is a hard choice.
If you’re having a hard time deciding what’s for you, this piece is structured to help you out.
Before we go on, you have to understand that each of these various hair types has its pros and cons. There’s no one-type-fits-all solution to help your decision along and you have to weigh your options first.
Knowing the essential facts about each hair type would help you make a well-informed conclusion.
A wig is a covering for your head which is made from synthetic fiber, artificial hair, or human hair. In simpler terms, a wig is similar to a hat that you can wear or take off easily.
The parts of a wig consist of a cap and the hair which is attached to the cap. The main feature of this item is that it isn’t attached permanently to the wearer’s head and offers a lot of conveniences.
Pros and Cons
- Wigs allow you to change your appearance at a moment’s notice: Instead of making permanent changes to your hair, a wig lets you change your hairstyle, hair color, and length to suit your preference. This level of convenience means that you don’t have to continually subject your hair to harsh chemicals and bleach.
- Wigs relatively cost less and last longer: If you maintain a wig adequately, it would last you for a lengthy duration. This means you don’t have to spend as much money on getting a new one regularly.
- Wigs help to protect natural hair: This is a common reason why people purchase this item. Wigs will shield your natural hair and give damaged strands some time to recover. There have even been reports that prolonged usage of a wig can repair the damage or stimulate hair growth. When you wear a wig, your hair isn’t exposed to environmental conditions that might have damaged it in the first place.
- To use your wig for a prolonged period, you would have to remove it daily. Sleeping or taking a shower with your wig will damage them.
- Wigs can fall off easily because they aren’t sewn on like hair extensions.
A weave is a term that refers to the natural, artificial, or synthetic hair which is attached to a person’s hair to alter their appearance.
Depending on the type of weave, it is either braided, woven, or stitched to the hair of the wearer. A weave can make your hair appear fuller, longer, or change its color.
Weaves are semi-permanent additions to your hair and can last for weeks if maintained properly.
Pros and Cons
- Weaves appear natural and lightweight if done properly. Many people find it hard to differentiate between natural hair and weaves after they are fixed. It may even appear as it comes directly from your scalp.
- Weaves are a great way to increase hair length and volume. Certain weaves will also change hair color.
- They are simple and easy to maintain. Once installed, weaves can last as long as 3 months with adequate maintenance.
- Weaves can improve self-confidence. Imagine the world of possibilities which they offer you. By simply attaching weaves to your hair, you could begin to look like your favorite celebrities.
- Weaves can be attached using a variety of methods. However, it’s usually braided or weaved to the wearer’s head.
- Weaves are time-consuming to install. You would need the services of a hairstylist and have to wait for hours to get your hair done.
- Weaves can cause hair damage. When fixed tightly, they can cause hair thinning or hair loss.
Hair extensions are a broad concept. It’s a term used to describe any type of artificial hair that can be attached to the wearer’s head.
In a nutshell, hair extensions include wigs, weaves, and any other form of human hair. There are a variety of types and colors for women to choose from. It’s all based on preference regarding the choice of extensions.
The difference between hair extensions is in their method of attachment. Hair extensions can be clipped, taped, glued, or sewn-in. Some of them can conveniently be removed at any time and styled to suit the wearer.
Pros and Cons
- Hair extensions come in a variety of styles, types, and colors. You can never run out of options to choose from. With advancements in technology and changes to fashion concepts, more options will be available in the future.
- If you’re able to get the right texture for yourself, hair extensions blend with the human hair.
- Hair extension adds more length, weight, and volume to your natural hair. It’s hard for people to tell the difference.
- Hair extensions are relatively costly. They are expensive to purchase, fix, and maintain.
- When you make use of inferior hair extensions, it could cause damage to your hair. These cheap extensions could cause your hair to shed, tangle, or appear unnatural.
The decision on which of these options to choose – wigs, weaves or hair extensions, depends on your preference and your financial capability.
Weaves and hair extensions provide similar effects when it comes to hair, length, volume, and appearance. Wigs are useful to change your overall appearance and repair damaged hair.
Or better yet, you could go for the three and switch whenever you want!