The RC world is so rich in designs and type of toys that everyone can find something to enjoy regardless of budget, age, and preferences. Even more, there are toys designed for indoor use only and toys you can also take outside for a spin.
My favorite category is the latter because it’s more fun and most of the designs are equipped with interesting features that make spending time outside worth the effort. Even more, I find it’s best to learn how to play with a new toy outside, where there’s a lot of space and no thick walls or huge pieces of furniture.
But, before I let you know my top three RC toys for outdoor use, let’s take a look at how to find the ones that are built with this purpose in mind (the features below apply to any type of RC toy).
How to buy the Best RC Toy for Outdoors
According to John from RCrank, the best way to buy an RC vehicle that can be used outside is to check these features:
· The size – regardless of type (helicopter, boat, or car), the remote controlled vehicle must be big enough to withstand outdoor conditions (the wind, rain, dust, dirt, and so on).
· Waterproof – the toys designed for outside use come with the electronics tightly sealed so water can’t reach them
· Power – in direct connection with the size, your toy must be equipped with a powerful enough engine to make it in the real world
· Durability – I recommend choosing toys with shells made of durable plastic or even ones that have an exoskeleton for extra-protection.
· Controls and maneuverability – as a beginner, it’s important to choose a toy that is easy to control, with an easy-to-understand remote
· Range and run time – most modern RC toys support a pretty extensive range and around 10 to 20 minutes of run time. These are great features because it allows you to get used to the toy before the battery runs out.
The best RC Toys for Outside
Now that you know how to choose a toy that will work outside without crashing at the first spin, let’s take a look at my top three RC toys for beginners.
An RC Helicopter
Choppers come in a wide range of sizes and designs, and they look amazing when you fly them! Still, it takes a bit of time to get used to flying a chopper the proper way and this is why I think you must find one with great flight stability like the Firefly.
This heli can be flown both indoors and outdoors and is one of the leading RC helicopters recommended for beginners. It is stable, lightweight, and easy to understand how it flies.
A Remote Controlled Drone
Yes, some drone models are RC toys as well and they are a lot of fun to fly. For a beginner I would recommend a quadcopter (for extra stability in flight) like the UDI U818A.
An RC car
If you’re not into flying toys, I think a cool RC truck with some interesting features may be best for you. The Traxxas Bandit XL-5 is a great beginner’s RC vehicle due to its stability, power, and waterproof electronics.